Sunday, January 31, 2021

Cottle - Assignment 17

 The movie that I chose to review was Dumplin', a 2018 movie about the daughter of a former beauty queen that signed up for her mom's pageant to protest the concept of beauty pageants and their value in Southern culture. 


    I'm a huge Dolly Parton fan, so going into this movie after reading the synopsis, I had very high expectations. I was sorely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the overall message of the movie, which was that looks aren't everything, and the importance of beauty pageants, especially in the South, can be damaging for a lot of young women who don't look like the beauty standard. The movie, however, was cliche, had some terrible acting and southern accents, and was just difficult to watch. Overall, I think the film had a really important message to give its viewers, especially young girls, but it was harder to appreciate when I didn't think the film was very well executed. The soundtrack, however, which heavily featured Dolly Parton, made it much more enjoyable!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dumplin 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...