Sunday, December 13, 2020

Assignment 9 - Adkins

 I've always been a bit interested in weather and meteorology. I remember as a kid at my grandparents I would play with my Hotwheels cars on their pool table in their basement while the weather channel would be playing on in the background. I find it fascinating how much goes into predicting the weather and just how unpredictable it is. Last year for one of my AP Seminar research papers our topic was hurricane relief. I took on the scientific lens in the group and looked at prediction models and how the storms were being predicted and that just showed me how terrible we as humans are at predicting natural disasters. I mean you just take Lexington, for example, there are days during the winter where they'll predict an inch of snow and we'll get nothing, and then other times they'll predict no snow and then school will be cancelled the next morning. I also find it a bit concerning too because scientists anticipate that global warming will strengthen natural disasters and with the pretty incompetent prediction models we use now, I think it could cause some serious danger down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...