I had always been taught to treat people with respect. The issue with this teaching, however, was that it also involved me treating everyone with respect. I slowly developed the mindset that if you don't deserve respect, you won't get any, at least from me. This way of thinking emerged sometime during middle school. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I remember that he had gotten me mad. Naturally, I resorted to talking to him, trying to work things out. It didn't work. I kind of lost it and just started yelling at him.Keep in mind, I'm 12 years old, so I don't really have any maturity level yet. I started yelling and saying some pretty mean things until he eventually just shut up.
To this day and age, I still look for qualities of a person to determine whether or not they deserve respect. If you're a nice person that doesn't berate people or criticize people for stupid things, and actually care about people, then you do deserve respect. However, if you're someone who enjoys making people uncomfortable by sharing things they might not want to share, you don't deserve anything from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.