Throughout my life I have always been a huge fan of music. Whether it be playing piano, listening to music on the radio, or arguing over which movie has the best soundtrack, I have always been super interested in music. My life story, as I previously mentioned, is pretty bland, but my change in musical taste is much more intriguing (to me at least). I started off as many kids did listening to what their parents liked. For me, that meant Pink Floyd, U2, and other alternative rock bands. Of course I also listened to the newest pop music on the radio as my parents drove me to school, soccer, or whatever other extracurricular I was into.
Moving to Kentucky brought new music and new memories. I vividly remember driving to school listening to Maroon 5 and Elton John. My new friends at my new school in my new state all loved Maroon 5 as much as I did. We would laugh about the inappropriate lyrics of the songs and repeat them over and over again while giggling. However, with the end of elementary school came the end to my interest in pop music.
Middle school music was more of a blur. I remember not being as interested in music at the time, but when I did listen to music it was mainly hip-hop and rap. I think this period of my life was less about my actual enjoyment of music and more about liking what the popular kids liked. This trend continued into Freshman year of high school.
Sophomore and Junior Year were very different. I started tracking away from trends like new hip-hop. I got into old 90s hip-hop and R&B. Towards the end of Sophomore year I picked up playing the guitar which also influenced my music taste. I started listening to songs that I could learn to play, like indie rock and folk music. I am still really into both of those genres, but am also going back and enjoying music from the past (Like Elton John, Maroon 5, and 2016 hip-hop). I am looking forward to seeing what types of music I will be into in a couple of years.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.