Sunday, May 2, 2021

Assignment 21- Gersony

 I used to say that I had never broken a bone in my years of life. But in march of 2020, my streak came to an end. I was hit in the face by a teammate during the warmup for our first season game. The pain was searing. I dripped blood all over my white uniform, staining it. The ice on my face was melting down my hands and arms, dripping down my legs and onto my feet. In general, I would not recommend the experience. I subsequently did not play that game. Or the one after that. I was however able to play in the game after that, but only with a rather dorky looking nose shield that fogged up and sealed in my sweat in a very uncomfortable way. Then Covid-19 hit and the rest of our season was canceled. The whole situation felt very unfair, but I had to remind myself that others had it much worse. I was so excited for summer lacrosse, but I soon realized that the effects of my injury persisted. I found that I could not catch a ball, because I had a new found fear of them. Every ball felt like it was soaring right at my face and not my stick. I would jump out of the way, the opposite of what you are supposed to do in lacrosse. It was one of the most frustrating experiences in my life. The practices that I used to look forward to just seemed like torture, and I felt like no one would understand. But I persisted, not willing to let this setback keep me from my sport. And, by the end of summer ball, I was catching balls with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...