Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Tiennot - Post 21- OB-STA-KELS - oh Brother Where art Thou

This prompt is particularly relevant as we gear up for senior year and start hunkering down trying to figure out which college we want to go, and what we need to do to actually have a chance at getting in.

Now as if by magic, this prompt appeared on the blog nearly right after I very obviously tripped over my own two feet- metaphorically that is. 

Talking to adults is scary, at least for me it is. It is a common feeling for my mouth to go dry, cheeks to pinken, and mind to go blank when faced with a figure of authority. Add in the fact that this person has the power to influence my reputation with a university I have aspirations of attending... well, it equals... not too good. 

We all mess up sometimes, right? Its a fact that the perfectionist in me hates to admit, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a fact. 

A fact is a fact is a fact. Catchy, huh?

Anyways, I definitely messed up this evening. You see, I was supposed attend an informational zoom meeting for a university's athletic program at 5 o' clock. But, in a rare moment of mis-planning, I penciled in 7 pm. instead, and in effect missed the meeting. 

I knew what I had to do. That didn't mean I wanted to do it. In fact, I DREADED doing it. Let's review. 
I despise having to talk to adults (well... it makes me uncomfortable)
I detest having to to talk to adults who represent universities (ok...again, I just get really really nervous)
But I especially, especially dread talking to adults who represent universities over the phone. 

Adult + university + phone = ahhhhh!

But I did it. I called the coach (luckily only reaching voicemail), explained to him what had happened, that I was so embarrassed and disappointed I had missed the meeting, and asked if there was any possible way I could join the next one he was having. It was still scary. My mouth still went dry, my cheeks still turned fuchsia, and I wrote everything down before-hand so my mind wouldn't suddenly go blank. It was still scary. 

But I'm glad I did it.
See, that's the thing - as much as you may dread or shrink from or put off the scary and uncomfortable and important obstacles in your life, you still face them. And nothing bad happens. Granted, it doesn't feel great. But I sure felt better after the phone call than I would have sitting back, letting the coach think I had stood him up.  At least he knows I feel bad. At least he knows it was an accident. At least I told him.  And that's all I have control over. 

As my mom says: "Shake it off. Don't sweat the small stuff." 

And that is exactly what I plan on doing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...