I think something essential to a deeper understanding of me is my entire family being from Russia and me being Russian. At first, when I moved here, I remember wanting my Russian side to disappear, the weird dishes which got me some unusual side roles and my language, generally the culture. Feeling the need to blend in, I feel like my Russian side has largely disappeared over the years. But in certain ways, it still affects my everyday life, mostly through my parents. My parents growing up in Russia caused them to rank education very high on the priority list because if you got good grades like they did in high school, loads of people were able to go to an outstanding university for free based on their academic achievements. Russians also value real friendships, my mom has been friends with her Russian friends since college which I’m pretty sure isn’t a friendship ending soon. Russians aren’t ones to generally smile and start up conversations with people on the street, but I feel like they really value true friendships. This Russian background makes me more culturally diverse and I think it could help me connect to people with immigrant backgrounds better and people that feel like they don’t fit in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mihaylov-Assignment 26
This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...
-
The funniest part about this blog is I'm writing quite a long time after the due date. And that's my main failure of second semest...
-
Junior year. This year was honestly mixed. I met some of my favorite people ever because of covid. I lost my junior year of high school beca...
-
I always say that my unique factor is being adopted from China at a young age, so for the purposes of this prompt I will stick to that....
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.