Sunday, March 28, 2021

Assignment 19 - Bird-Pollan

     I think the best piece of advice I've ever heard was not given to me directly but rather overheard in an interview. 

    "If you're happy doing what you're doing, nobody can tell you you're not successful." As someone who has struggled with the idea of purpose my entire life, it has been difficult for me to wrap my head around this. If I am happy, I am successful. Happiness equals success. I have been unmotivated and relatively disappointed with myself basically my whole life. I know I have done things that merit success, but in my mind, they don't. I don't know if it's that I will never be satisfied or if I am just a grumpy and anxious teenager. Either way, I feel this low level of self-worth has held me back. Since hearing this piece of advice, I haven't stopped thinking about it. What does it mean to be successful? I run two clubs that I hold near and dear to my heart, I have formed relationships that mean everything to me, and I do things I like in my free time. Does this not mean I'm happy? Does this not mean I'm successful? I can't quite decide if I'm happy in the present, but I suppose no one can, really. I guess I am continuing to learn happiness does equal success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...