Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Hall - Assignment 19

Disclaimer: My memory is abhorrent. So no, I can't really remember advice beyond fragments and feelings, let alone exact quotes and origins. But I tried my best.

“Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.” I can't remember where this is from, or who it was by. But my mom made me memorize the whole passage when I was younger and this is the only thing I can remember. Often I'm perceived as intimidating, and I definitely used to try and seem less so, through changing my posture or speaking higher and/or quieter. Sometimes I do that still. But I've had to force myself to realize that I can't change who I am, or how others perceive me without feeling ingenuine to myself. And sure that's important or whatever.
 
But, to be honest, when I ask myself what advice I consistently use in my life? It's "why does it matter?" Prioritize how you feel and not how others may see you. Why does it matter if you look stupid if you're having fun? Why does it matter what you wear if you feel good in it? Being ashamed and embarrassed does nothing for you or anyone else. If you never take risks, you'll never grow. If you miss every opportunity just to stay on the path of familiarity then your life is wasted, and you're doomed to be forgotten. Make memories, make friends, make waves. Just be you. No one can be you better than you can be yourself. If you try so hard to fit in and be like everyone else, then no one will ever know how cool it is to meet you. Look stupid, who cares. Why does it matter? When all is said and done, you'll wish you hadn't kept yourself from opportunities. And that's impactful for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...