Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Assignment 8- Osburn

 Fears: the ocean, small spaces, holes

Annoyances: people on their phone during conversation

Accomplishments: not dropping out of the academy, making my bed everyday when I wake up

Confusions: identity, taxes, the economy

Sorrows: insecurity

Dreams: having a job that I enjoy, family, travel, being an Olympic figure skater

Idiosyncrasies: always having a clean room

Risks: going to college (future), leaving the house in fear of catching covid (now)

Beloved Possessions, Now and Then: letters from friends and family

Problems: stubbornness, communication


As a victim, I can confirm that trypophobia is real. I understand that it may seem silly and I am very aware that it is irrational but that does not diminish its effect. In case you didn’t know, trypophobia is the irrational fear of holes. It’s a little more complex than that though. It usually means patterns of small holes in close proximity, not just one singular hole. I’m not exactly sure when I discovered I had this fear, possibly sometime in middle school. However, I have learned not to confide in people about trypophobia as they ultimately ask “what is that?” and so you tell them and they proceed to Google it and ask, “this?” and show you the image results. To which I confirm and immediately look away, telling them rather impolitely to get rid of it. One painfully memorable experience was in the eighth grade when I told my “friend” about my irrational fear. I left my seat to use the bathroom, as one does, and upon returning I opened my laptop to images from my own personal hell. I made the mistake of trusting him with this weakness of mine and I hope that I am not repeating this mistake with you. I can’t explain precisely why small patterns of holes hold so much power over me but I guess that’s what makes it irrational. Not every small pattern of holes contributes to my fear though, like speakers. They have tiny little holes all over the surface but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I think the most daunting aspect of my trypophobia is when the holes are on the surface of a person’s skin, heaven forbid on my own. This is one of my biggest fears. The sheer thought of it makes me cringe and I think if I were strapped down and forced to stare at images of this I would cry uncontrollably. I know that this concept sounds a bit ridiculous but I can assure you it is not nonsense and on behalf of the trypophobic community, I am asking you to respect our vulnerability.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...