Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Assignment 3- Osburn

     My travel experience thus far is limited. My family has never been one to take big trips. The furthest travelling I’ve done is, without a doubt, the one way trip from Qianjiang, China to Lexington. This 24 hour flight was certainly the most impactful as well, as it transformed my life at a young age. However, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me, as far as I can remember, because at the time I was less than one year old. This was the first and last time I flew on a plane. Now all of my immediate family lives only a few hours or less away, we don’t visit often. I grew up as an only child, so “family” vacations were personally never too exciting. The trips that we occasionally take together are never more than a few hours away from home, with the exception of the few times we went to Florida, but never the fancy part of Florida. Typically we venture only to places in close proximity and consequently these areas are culturally similar to Kentucky. One of my favorite trips was to New York City last year. I went with my friends and instead of travelling by plane, we rode roughly 26 hours on a sketchy train. Despite the imperfections of the city, I think I enjoyed this trip so much because of the stark contrast between Kentucky and New York City. While the city can be intimidating, I enjoyed the short visit because it was new and exciting. The idea of living in a big city like New York is thrilling and simultaneously terrifying. Kentucky is mundane and banal and I would love to gain a new experience in a busier, less suburban location. Yet, at the same time Kentucky feels safe and comfortable because it’s what I’m used to. In the future I want to travel to new, unfamiliar places that may be out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...