College! Did you know in French that actually means middle school? Sorry- I got side-tracked.
Ever since we were little, the importance of schooling and good grades have been drilled into us, time and time again, all with the motivation of going to college. Those golden gates awaiting us at the end of a very, very long road. On one side - our childhood. On the other - our future. Daunting, isn't it?
For me at least, College has always been the "prize" I've been keeping my eyes on. The work ethic I honed in middle school, the academic rigor of highschool, and all the lost sleep spent instead working on school projects would pay off, and I'd be able to go to my dream school, or something close to it. To be honest, I've been putting off thinking about after college. College itself has always seemed so far away. Its hard to believe I'm almost there.
But to answer your question- I want to use my college education to get better acquainted with myself- my strengths, my weaknesses, my interests; and improve upon them. I hope college will open doors to new relationships, situations, and experiences that I, not only would never have otherwise, but fundamentally form my identity. College, for me, will be a time to find myself, and create a human being I not only like, but am proud to be. I don't expect it to be easy. In fact, I expect it to be far from that, but I'm trusting that all the work I've already put in will prepare me for life beyond those golden gates.
I'm torn between dream schools. One is in a small town in Pennsylvania close enough to the city, but far enough that the campus has its own identity. Campus life is smaller, tight-knit, and involved. Traditions are a big part of the university, and the school's values mirror my own. The other university is in Chicago, in the heart of the bustling "Windy City." My parents met in the same city, which wasn't originally a part of the appeal, but the romantic story of how two people from opposite sides of the world fell in love does lend itself. No, I guess what originally attracted me to the university was its annual scavenger hunt. I know that sounds silly, and unless you're familiar with the school tradition, I'm sure it doesn't sound that serious of an attraction. But students at the university are crazy smart. I mean, one of the tasks on the scavenger hunt was to make a nuclear reactor. And students did it!
I'd love to be a part of either of the schools. I don't know if I'll end up at either of them, but that's not going to stop me from trying. I mean... the chances of me getting accepted? Slim. But not impossible. Never impossible. And so? I keep grinding. I'll work and work, and work some more. Because I know that what lies on the other side of those gates is important, and I know that college is going to help me get there.
Till next time,
Marge
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.