Mystery. Intrigue. Adventure.
Much like a choose your own adventure novel, life is based off the choices we make. Each one sets us down a different course, each one has its own set of consequences. But the point is - WE get to choose. We choose whether or not to study for that math quiz. We choose whether to become doctors or lawyers, small business owners, or explorers. We choose what is really worth fighting for. So at the end of the day, do we really have anybody but ourselves to blame for where we end up? Probably, but also maybe not.
Right now, I'm choosing psychology. It fluctuates, true, as all things in life do, but that's the number I have my money set on right now. I kind of stumbled into psychology. I had to fulfill and AP elective requirement, and I'd already taken art history in middle school. My friend was recommending psychology. True- the friend and I have very different preferences, but I figured What the heck! It wasn't until after I'd signed up for the course that I realized half my grade was taking it along with me.
Nevertheless, I began the class - dutifully completing assignments, homework, and studying hard for the tests. There was a surprising element to the experience, one I won't get too much into. But despite it, I felt myself truly enjoying psychology.
You see, a lot of my life I've found myself quietly puzzling about things. Staring at people when they weren't looking, trying to fathom what was on their mind, what possessed them to execute certain habits. The funny thing about psychology is that it's all about stuff we already do or know- motivations, and parenting techniques, biological needs, and even how giving a person the slightest amount of power goes straight to their head. But it looks at the reasons why.
So you see, its simple, but at the same time, deeper. I feel that you can be completely unqualified, be completely uninterested, and yet still find something in the field that has you captivated. And so, I'm keeping the psychology in my back pocket looking into colleges and career paths.
Another great thing about psychology is its vast field - you can work with people, you can work in a lab, you can work with animals, you can work in a hospital, you can work as a teacher, for advertising, for a corporation. There are endless possibilities.
Which brings me back around to choices. To be honest, I'm really terrible at making choices. It's a fault hardwired into my personality, I'm afraid. So the choice is there. I'm looking at it, considering it, planning it out ten years into the future; but I'm not staking my life on it either. We'll just see how it goes, and if turning to the last page of my choose my own adventure novel shows me getting a psychology degree, great! But if it doesn't, I'm ok with that too.
Ta ta for now,
Margaret
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.