I have never really been interested in any sort of "intellectual" subject such as math, or science, what have you, maybe because I'm lazy, and have hoped that one day I would discover something that interests me, and just be like "yes, this is what I will do" in terms of a career, like many people seem to have done with psychology. As I've gotten older this has not yet happened, so it has prompted me to begin to attempt to think of a potential solution, assuming I don't miraculously discover my life's calling in the near future. I have examined my own hobbies and tried to extract a potential career from one of them. Really the only thing that actually interests me is movies or "films." While it would be nice for this interest to eventually turn into a career I recognize this is extremely unlikely. Anyone can say "I like movies" and decide they want to pursue film production/writing/directing, so hopefully I find something more stable to rely on, but at the moment this is all I can think of so its what I'll talk about for this.
I've always felt drawn to the entertainment industry. As for movies specifically, I find it interesting how all the combined elements, from writing, to cinematography, to music/sound, to editing, all go together to invoke a certain feeling in the viewer, sometimes without any words. I really like how they can engage you, and make you completely forget about anything going on in the real world. The way characters are introduced and presented to the audience, how we watch them react to the situations they are in and make certain choices, undergoing their character arc(s) is another interesting aspect. While the goal of some movies may be to "teach" the audience or give them something to think about, the ultimate purpose is simply to entertain, which I think is what makes them so enjoyable.
As for an "intellectual experience" I really enjoyed the unit in Mr. Lentz's class freshman year where we had to analyze a director's style. It made me pay much more attention to certain choices that directors make, ones that put a certain unconscious impression on the viewer that they don't even realize may be caused by something as simple as a camera angle.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.