Fears:
Failure, disappointing others
Annoyances:
Apolitical people, people who hate others for enjoying things whether they're cliche or not
Accomplishments:
It's hard for me to admit accomplishments often, but it's something I'm trying to get better at. I'll get back to you on this one.
Confusions:
People who lie just out of boredom/for fun.
Sorrows:
I get lonely quite often. Also the idea that I can never meet some people just out of sheer coincidence; some people are always just out of reach. Sometimes I can't help someone.
Dreams:
I dream of a life where I'm not trapped in my mind all the time.
Idiosyncrasies:
I don't really like fast food.
Risks:
I go running in the mornings; a few mornings ago a man followed me almost all the way home, now I have to watch out for him when I go running (I don't know if this is technically considered a risk; other than this I'd have to say I don't really take many risks.).
Beloved Possessions Then:
A blanket I got when I was born I carried around with me until I was about 6.
Beloved Possessions Now:
Letters my friends write me.
Problems:
I have a mental illness called Major Depressive Disorder and another one called Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Both of these have made my quarantine really hard and I haven't been able to do as well in school because I haven't been able to see people I like which usually motivates me to get the grades I think I can get.
I fear failure. I don't know when this fear came about, but I can probably tell you why. I was always very high strung as a kid. My mom always tells me this story when talking about my anxiety:
You took standardized tests in elementary school. One day, you came home from school and did your homework, just like normal. We had dinner and watched a show, just like normal. Your dad tucked you into bed at 8:30, just like normal. You didn't fall asleep. You tossed and turned, and, eventually, you came downstairs crying. It was around 10:00. You said, "[My elementary principal] is counting on me. What if I let her down?"
"She shouldn't have said it like this, of course," she always adds at the end. I'm starting to hear the story as a horror story. At 8 or 9 years old, I was so anxious I couldn't sleep? I was so scared of letting my elementary school principal down that I cried? I have a hard time fathoming this now. If my child comes downstairs one night with these same concerns I don't know what I would do. I'm scared of how long these failure and disappointment demons have been on my shoulders and how long they will continue to stay there.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.