Sunday, October 18, 2020

Assignment 6 - Bird-Pollan

    I recently joined the Police-Free Schools Grassroots Campaign. Our only goal is to limit the amount of police officers in schools. I am an Organizing Fellow with Student Voice. I'm learning how to lead so that my leadership is no longer necessary. I want to make the world a better place. I don't quite know how to do that yet, but I think I am on the right track. This year I have started to see things around me in a new way that doesn't necessarily involve me. I don't know how good a job I'm doing, but I'm trying to spread awareness of issues without talking over the marginalized. 
    As a mentally-ill, queer, white woman I still have so much privilege, and I am trying to listen more than I talk. I know that I am in a situation of immense privilege. The other day I had to talk to police officers and, afterwards, I thought of how different the police might've treated me had I not been white or cis-het passing. I do not know for sure whether these police officers might've treated me differently, but the facts are that as a white woman in America, I have immense privilege. If Trump is reelected, I might lose my right to marry or to get an abortion. This is not even half as bad as having to live in fear that if you are pulled over on the side of the road, you might not make it out alive. So many people live in a different America than I do. I don't have to think about this when I interact with police. 
    Thinking about all of this, I find it extremely offensive that people think voting is a joke. I do not get to vote in this election. I can't even say how much I wish I could. A majority of Americans' rights will be up in the air this November. How insane is that? Why do we live in a country where so many's rights are up in the air every four years? I don't know how to make the world a better place. I hope our next president does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Mihaylov-Assignment 26

  This year, even though I slacked off on blogs and Wednesday assignments, I didn't miss a single Timed Writing. And sure, that's no...