Frankly, I must admit that I am not much of a reader in any sense of the word. The only occasion in which I find myself reading a book is for school purposes, and even then I may not read the book in its entirety. I really cannot recall the last time I read a book simply for pleasure. When I was younger I loved to read and would often speed through fictional chapter books, reading a new one every week. My favorite books in elementary school were adventures/mysteries, though I never liked Harry Potter. The Series of Unfortunate Events was my favorite fictional series. I loved the suspenseful, eerie style that Lemony Snicket had, so I could easily binge read the thirteen books. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan was a close second. Percy Jackson got me into Greek mythology and, much like The Series of Unfortunate Events, was a page-turner. Now reading is like a chore. I don’t have much interest in picking up a novel and on the rare occasion that I do, I lose interest quickly. The last book I read, and the only book I can remember reading in the past year was The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan for an AP World History assignment. To be honest, I listened to it as an audio book but I think it still counts. The 1989 novel follows the story of four Chinese American immigrant families in San Francisco. I chose this specific book to read for the project because I am also Chinese American and wanted to see characters similar to me. I actually enjoyed listening to it, although it was somewhat boring, I found it relaxing. As a high school student I feel like I don’t have the time to read books anymore, and when I do there are plenty of other things I’d rather be doing. Personally, I am more excited with visuals than words. Like most teenagers, I prefer hearing stories through movies and pictures, and they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words”.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.