I'm a sucker for bucket lists. Even during quarantine, I made a long list of things I wanted to do to pass the time. Some of them are fun, some are foolish, but I think the most important ones are those that push you outside your comfort zone.
Before I finish High School:
1. I'd like to get my driver's license. I'm sure that seems simple enough to you, but nevertheless, its on my list.
2. Break a rule. A big rule, a little rule. A silly rule, an important one. Its important to know what's important, and to know what my priorities really are.
3. Time capsule! - a favorite on lists, I'm sure. I'd love to look back at myself in twenty or thirty years. See which parts of me I've kept, and which I've shed.
Before I finish College:
1. Go to a stereotypical college party. Bucket lists aren't always the big stuff, but the routine stuff as well.
2. Travel to a new country. To some - four countries is impressive, to others its underwhelming. Before I finish college, I'd like to travel to a new country - perhaps somewhere in Europe?
3. Adopt a new culture. I'd really like to go out of state for college, and I think that wherever I end up, they're going to have a different "vibe" Philly cheese steaks, Bengals games, or deep dish pizza, I'd like to be a native somewhere in addition to just Lexington.
Before I finish living:
1. Fall in love. That seems pretty self-explanatory.
2. Go on a road trip with absolutely no plan. No vision or supplies other than what's in my head and on my back.
3. Excel in my focus -whatever that is. Small business, medicine, therapy, art... I want to be someone who comes home at the end of the day proud of everything I've accomplished - tired, but still excited to wake up the next morning.
The most important of these nine things is breaking a rule.
I'm definitely a rule-follower. I'm what my brother loves to call a "suck up." And don't get me wrong - I like who I am, but I also think its important to step outside your comforts zones every once and a while. For me - thats breaking rules.
I think breaking rules makes us examine our priorities, what we really value in life, and what we spend too much energy and time on that doesn't really benefit us. I challenge you all to do something that makes you reexamine your priorities. Honestly, its really refreshing.
toodles,
Marge
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.